Is there anything worse than experiencing bad breath? Everyone has probably had it at least once or twice while some people are more prone to consistently experience it. Indeed, some causes come to accentuate bad breath. Realizing you have been walking around with bad breath can be embarrassing and unhealthy. Instead of worrying about whether or not you have it, follow these 5 tips to eliminate bad breath entirely.
1. Know What Causes Bad Breath
One of the best ways to eliminate bad breath is to understand what causes it and avoid those things. Some of the most common culprits include:
- Food and Beverages – especially garlic, onion, cheese, coffee and alcohol;
- Poor Oral Hygiene;
- Medical Problems, such as diabetes, liver disease and sinusitis;
- Medication, especially those that cause dry mouth;
2. Check Your Diet and Lifestyle
Once you understand the causes of bad breath, you’ll notice many of them can be controlled through your diet and lifestyle. Taking steps to remove these foods and/or restrict these activities can drastically reduce the occurrence of halitosis.
Some steps you should take include:
- Reduce the amount of coffee you consume;
- Quit smoking;
- Increase water consumption;
- Eat fewer foods containing garlic or onions.
3. Improve Oral Hygiene
If you find yourself experiencing chronic bad breath, your oral hygiene may need improvement. A good oral hygiene routine can stop bad breath from happening or prevent it from occurring in the first place. Your routine should include:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day with toothpaste;
- Flossing daily;
- Using a tongue scraper to clean tongue.
4. Regularly Visit the Dentist
Having an effective oral hygiene routine at home is very important to eliminate bad breath but nothing will replace the importance of a dental visit. Regularly visiting the dentist to have your teeth cleaned is one of the best things you can do to prevent long term issues. If an issue does arise, frequent visits to the dentist will help recognize the problem early.
5. Camouflage Bad Breath
When all else fails, there are many effective ways to camouflage your bad breath. Some solutions that may work include:
- Chew on a carrot, apple slices or parsley leaves
- Sugar-free chewing gum
- Drinking green tea
For those in the Montreal and Brossard area, a visit to Clinique Dentaire et d’Implantologie Dr. Vinh Nguyen et Associés can help to ensure you no longer suffer from bad breath. Our team will help improve your overall oral hygiene and ensure long term oral health. Make an appointment today!